Here are the 5 things you need to know about the upcoming Volkswagen Ameo sub-4 metre sedan.
As Maruti Suzuki has had the best selling car in the sub-4 metre sedan segment with the Swift Dzire. Honda, Hyundai, Ford, Tata have all tried to dethrone the indo-jap million strong car off its position, but haven't been able to make a significant dent. Now Volkswagen is trying to have a go at it with its recently introduced Ameo. Prior to the launch, we take a look at 5 things you need to know if you're looking for a car like this for yourself.
- The Ameo will feature the same 1.2-litre, 3-cylinder petrol engine and the 1.5-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine found in the Polo and Vento. Both engines will come mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox. Volkswagen is also likely to offer the Ameo with a, first in segment, DSG automatic gearbox with a diesel engine.
- To meet the Sub-4 metre regulations, Volkswagen has had to shed some of its length from the Vento. The Ameo has a total length of 3,995mm, therefore the luggage capacity in the boot is 330 litres. Considering its rivals, the Ameo’s capacity is slightly less when compared to the competition.
- As with all VW cars now on sale in India, the Ameo will also feature dual front airbags and ABS as standard across the range.
- Volkswagen has loaded the Ameo with a touchscreen MirrorLink infotainment system with rear view camera, which was recently offered with the updated Polo and Vento range. The Ameo will also be offered with auto dimming internal mirror, cruise control, rain sensing wipers, automatic AC, cornering lights, and front centre armrest with rear AC vents.
- The rear legroom is slightly compromised compared to the Polo due to the length shed of the Ameo. But Volkswagen is likely to price the Ameo slightly more premium than competitors as the car will feature Volkswagens premium quality materials and build quality. We expect the Ameo to be priced at around Rs. 6-9 lakh ex-showroom.
Will the Volkswagen Ameo will be able to match the Swift Dzire in sales numbers is doubtful, but it sure seems to be a good competitor in the segment with its first in class offerings and feature loaded interiors.