Harley-Davidson Plant Visit: Riding Down to Where the Magic Happens!

We embark on a special road trip with the Harley-Davidson X440 and ride down to its birthplace to witness how it’s made.

By Aakash S Paul | Photography Hiyan Chauhan | on April 25, 2024 Follow us on Autox Google News

It’s been nearly a year since Harley-Davidson launched its most affordable offering in India – the X440. A result of a collaboration between Harley-Davidson and Hero MotoCorp, the bike is manufactured at Hero’s facility in Neemrana, Rajasthan. Recently, I had the opportunity to ride down to the plant and witness the manufacturing process first-hand. It was also the first time I had the opportunity to ride the bike, so naturally, I was excited.

The journey from our starting point in Sohna Road, Gurugram, to the plant was of roughly 100km. So, I decided to set off at around 6 AM. The first thing that took me by surprise was the amount of torque available quite early in the rev band, which was particularly helpful while navigating the hilly section during the early part of my journey. Not even once did the bike feel out of breath, effortlessly handling the twists and turns along the route with grace.

Harley Davidson Plant

No road trip is complete without a refreshing cup of tea from a roadside dhaba, so I made sure to indulge in one after covering 49km. Once I was back on the road, it was a smooth, uninterrupted ride to the plant, affording me plenty of time to closely examine and appreciate the engine.

Harley Davidson X440 Motorcycle Ride to the Harley-Davidson Plant

On paper, the X440 makes less power and torque than some of the other bikes in the segment. However, its performance on the road is far from lacking. Achieving and maintaining legal highway speeds is effortless, with the engine delivering seamless power. I did, however, encounter some difficulty in finding neutral a couple of times and found myself wishing for slightly more forward-positioned footpegs to assume a more relaxed riding position.

Upon reaching the plant, I parked my bike and received a brief overview before proceeding inside. One of the first things that I noticed immediately was the cool ambient temperature inside the plant, thanks to a technology called ‘Bigfoot’. I was then taken to the rooftop, where I discovered an innovative garden, where vegetables are cultivated without soil. Additionally, there were solar panels on the roof, generating 1.2MW, effectively catering to about 10 – 12% of the plant’s daily energy needs. It was evident that this facility is more than just a motorcycle manufacturing hub – it embodies smart and sustainable practices.

Harley Davidson Plant

Both the Harley-Davidson X440 and Hero’s 100cc motorcycles are produced here. There are two production lines, one of which is dedicated to the X440. Right now, it produces 250 motorcycles a day, with the capability to scale up to 500. I also learned that an overwhelming 90% of the customers opt for the top-spec version of the X440, while the base and mid variants account for the remaining 10%.

Also Read: Most Affordable 400cc Motorcycles in India: Hero Mavrick 440, Triumph Speed 400, Harley-Davidson X440 and More

By the time I concluded the plant tour and rode back to the hotel, it was almost 4 in the evening, and I realised that I had covered a total of 211km, gained insight into the manufacturing process of the X440, and enjoyed some tasty snacks on the way – all in a span of less than 12 hours. Before I had the opportunity to embark on this memorable journey, I was a bit disappointed that I hadn’t had a chance to ride the X440; however, now, after this immersive experience, I think that this was perhaps the best way to finally do it.

Tags: Harley-Davidson Harley-Davidson X440

Write your Comment

Please tell us your city. This allows us to provide relevant content for you.