SIAM Convention 2023: Nitin Gadkari Calls Shift from BS4 to BS6 Emission Norms a Big Achievement

Union Minister Nitin Gadkari, during his speech at the recently held SIAM Convention 2023, urged that the auto industry must speed up the switch from diesel and petrol to alternative fuels, which are more environmentally friendly and will reduce the nation's imports of fossil fuels.

By Reetika Bhatt | on September 13, 2023 Follow us on Autox Google News

Nitin Gadkari, the Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, during his speech at the recently held SIAM Annual Convention 2023, urged that the auto industry must speed up the switch from diesel and petrol to alternative fuels, which are more environmentally friendly and will reduce the nation's imports of fossil fuels. Gadkari noted, "Diesel is a hazardous fuel for the environment and the industry must reduce diesel engine production". Sharing his thoughts at the event, he also stated that the automotive sector should work to produce vehicles that are safer and cleaner and stressed the fact that it was a remarkable accomplishment to switch from BS4 to BS6. Since the implementation of the stringent BS6 emissions standards in 2020, many diesel engines and cars have already been discontinued, and the price of those that are still in production has increased significantly. “This is the right time to transition from diesel and petrol to biofuels, alternative fuels, and energy sources for Mobility,” he added. The Minister emphasised that the industry must aim to completely stop the manufacturing and sale of diesel vehicles. 

Also Read: PM Modi Says Sustainable Mobility Ecosystem Development Need of the Hour at SIAM Convention 2023

Flex-Fuel Toyota Innova Hycross Prototype: Key Details

The Union Minister unveiled the world's first electric, flex-fuel BS-6 (Stage-II) vehicle in India last month. The prototype, which is based on the well-known Innova Hycross, was created to adhere to India's strict pollution laws. The introduction of a new Toyota Innova prototype that runs entirely on ethanol is also being seen as a part of a larger government initiative to employ alternative fuels like hydrogen, flex-fuel, biofuel, etc. to reduce the nation's dependence on traditional fuel sources and reduce its carbon impact. The switch to biofuels is meant to boost India's energy independence and significantly cut the enormous amount (Rs 16 lakh crore) spent on petroleum imports. 

The engine of the vehicle has been modified to run on ethanol of grade E100. Additionally, it makes use of a lithium-ion self-charging battery, which enables the MPV to run entirely on electricity. When the electrified Innova Hycross flex-fuel will go into production is currently unknown. For those who don't know, Gadkari launched the Toyota Mirai EV, a hydrogen-powered car, in 2022. The vehicle was launched as a pilot project with the aim of creating a Green Hydrogen-based ecosystem in India by increasing awareness of the advantages of FCEV and Green Hydrogen technology.

Flex-Fuel Toyota Innova Hycross Prototype: Powertrain Details

The 2-litre strong-hybrid engine found in the standard Toyota hybrid MPV is also used in the flex-fuel Hycross. In this instance, the engine has been modified to operate on an ethanol blend of up to 85% (E85), leaving the remaining 15% for petrol, making it far more environmentally beneficial than an all-ICE powertrain. Even on the cleaner fuel, Toyota claims that this configuration will be electronically managed for a similar performance output of 183bhp.

Ethanol is a biofuel and a green fuel because it is produced from agricultural products with a starch or sugar content (such as sugarcane, excess maize, leftover rice and vegetables, and biomass like rice straw, wheat straw, bagasse, etc.). Additionally, ethanol that has been blended into gasoline or diesel at a higher concentration (more than 20%) can be used by an engine with the use of flex-fuel technology. The FFV SHEV uses a powerful hybrid and ethanol powertrain, which reduces CO2 emissions and improves fuel efficiency.

Also Read: SIAM Convention 2023: Industry Experts, Policy Makers Discuss Sustainable Mobility and Balancing Growth

India has excellent opportunities to make a big and disruption-free energy change thanks to ethanol. Increased ethanol use offers the opportunity to attain complete self-sufficiency due to its global availability, technological accessibility, existing competitive manufacturing environment, and fuel-generating and dispensing infrastructure. After 2025, India will have more ethanol on hand than what is required for the E20 system. To realise the potential and the societal benefits, flex fuel vehicle technology—automobiles that can run on ethanol blends higher than 20% (E20)—will be required.


Tags: Nitin Gadkari SIAM Convention 2023 BS6 BS4 BS6 Emission Norms

Write your Comment

Please tell us your city. This allows us to provide relevant content for you.