From 3 engine and 5 gearbox options to a lengthy segment leading equipment list, the all-new Kia Sonet is here to send shockwaves through the compact SUV segment.
Ever since it was first showcased in concept form at the 2020 Auto Expo, the Kia Sonet has been making headlines everywhere. And now with the reveal of the car in final production form, let’s take a closer look at everything that you need to look out for in the Sonet.
- 3 engine and 5 gearbox options: The Kia Sonet will be offered with a wide range of powertrain options that will include 3 engine options - 1.2-litre, four cylinder naturally aspirated petrol, 1.0-litre, three cylinder turbocharged petrol and a 1.5-litre, four cylinder turbo diesel. The 5 gearbox options include a 5-speed manual, a 6-speed IMT clutchless manual transmission, a 6-speed manual gearbox, a 6-speed torque converter automatic transmission and a 7-speed double clutch automatic. The 1.0-litre turbo petrol engine will be offered with the 7-speed DCT autobox, the 6-speed automatic will be offered in the 1.5-litre diesel model, this will make the Sonet the only proper diesel automatic compact SUV on sale. The diesel model will also be on sale with a six-speed manual gearbox while the 1.2-litre petrol will be sold with the five-speed manual gearbox. We are yet to learn about the engine options that will be offered with the 6-speed IMT gearbox, but rest assured it will be available with the turbo petrol engine.
- Segment leading equipment list: The Sonet will be a pioneer in the compact SUV space with its segment leading equipment list that will feature everything from a jazzy LED sound mood lighting, to a subwoofer, to ventilated front seats, to multiple drive modes, to a cooled wireless mobile phone charger and a whole lot more. It will also have the biggest infotainment system in its class with Kia’s 10.25-inch infotainment system that is available in the Seltos as well.
- Multiple traction modes: The 1.0-litre turbo petrol DCT model will be the only compact SUV in India to be sold with selectable traction driving modes. The Sonet will also be available with multiple drive modes.
- GT Line variant: Like the Seltos, the Sonet too will be offered with a sporty GT Line variant. Goes without saying that it will directly compete with the recently launched Hyundai Venue Sport that even features the same engine and gearbox options which will be found in the Kia Sonet GT Line. Like the Hyundai, the Kia too will feature all-black interiors and other sporty design cues.
- LED headlamps: The Sonet will be the only car in its class to feature full LED headlamps as all other competitors are currently offering xenon projector headlamps at the moment.
It goes without saying that the Kia Sonet will send shockwaves through the compact SUV segment when it is launched during the festive season in India. And going by Kia’s pricing history, rest assured the Sonet too will be priced very competitively. This is bound to shake things up for its competitors that will have to move fast to keep up with the latest contender.