4WD with LSD, a touchscreen infotainment system, and new engines – you can expect all this from the all-new second-generation Mahindra Thar.
Perhaps one of the most eagerly awaited new cars of 2020 for the mass market in India is the new Mahindra Thar. Even though the conversion of the interest it has generated to sales is limited, pretty much everyone likes to look at and talk about the Thar, purely because of its lifestyle quotient.
So, it is big news then that Mahindra will take the wraps off its all-new second-generation Thar tomorrow at 11 am. And while pretty much no details about the new Jeep have been revealed so far, apart from its reveal date, here’s what you should know about it.
- Bigger and bolder than earlier: The new Mahindra Thar will be larger than the first-gen model it replaces in terms of its dimensions. It will also feature plenty of chunky design elements, which will be better finished. The build quality will be better too.
- New powertrain options: The 2nd-gen Thar will be powered by a set of new engine options, which will include the 2.2-litre mHawk turbo diesel engine as well as a new petrol engine. There will be six-speed manual gearboxes on offer for both petrol and diesel engines, while a petrol automatic is also expected to be in the offering.
- ABS, airbags and parking sensors on offer: This is the first time that the Thar will be on sale with safety features, owing to the new mandatory norms. There will be two front airbags, anti-lock brakes, and rear parking sensors on the new model.
- Touch-screen infotainment system: Another first on the new Thar will be a new touch-screen infotainment system, which will feature Android Auto and Apple CarPlay.
- 4WD and LSD: Like earlier, the new Thar too will come with a low ratio box and a limited-slip rear differential to provide the 'Jeep' experience.
- Hardtop and soft-top options: For the first time, the Thar will also come with the option of a hardtop roof straight from the factory. A soft-top model will be on offer as well.
Also read - Mahindra Scorpio BS6 details revealed